Northern Lights Tour
We use a secure connection for our checkout process.
Catch a glimpse of the magnificent Aurora Borealis
Escape the busy city nights of Reykjavik and venture on a hunt for the elusive Northern Lights – one of nature’s most beautiful phenomena.
If your hunt is successful, you’ll see a unique celestial spectacular - witness the bright, shining colours of the Northern Lights swirl and shape-shift in the darkness of the cold Icelandic sky.
Experience a unique tour every time
No two tours are the same - we take you to the best viewing location on the particular evening you’ve chosen!
Sometimes you won’t have to go further than Reykjavik’s outskirts to catch the Auroras. Other nights, you’ll find yourself chasing them deep into the countryside.
This means that even if you end up doing the tour more than once, it will be an entirely different experience altogether!
Will I see the Northern Lights?
Catching the mysterious Aurora Borealis is not a simple task, so unfortunately there are no guarantees.
But don’t you worry! Armed with science and expertise, we are prepared to give you the best chance of seeing the Northern Lights.
Here’s what we do to get the perfect conditions
- We choose the best time – Science says the Northern Lights are most likely to be spotted from late August to end of March, so this is when our tours take place
- We plan the best route - The precise route for the day is crafted by an expert guide with the help of the most up-to-date weather and solar activity reports
- If the weather’s not good enough, the tour will be cancelled – We don’t want you to be disappointed and waste precious holiday time, so if the optimal conditions are not met, the tour won’t go ahead
What happens with my ticket if the tour is cancelled?
Don’t worry! If the tour can’t take place, you’ll be offered a different date. And if you can’t make it then, you’ll get a refund.
How will I know if the tour will go ahead?
Your guide will keep a close eye on the weather forecast and at 6pm a final decision will be made. Just ask at the front desk of your hotel after 6pm to find out!
You could also get the information you need at the Tour Desk at Loftleidir, The Hilton and Saga Hotel.
What if the tour goes ahead but I don’t see the lights?
Your guide will try to predict where the Northern Lights will show up. However, the Aurora Borealis might still escape you. If that happens, you can try your luck the following night for free.
- Culture Vultures
- Nature Lovers
Daily from late August to April (subject to weather forecast).
- 25th August - 15th April: 9pm
- 15th September - 15th March: 8pm
- 16th April - 25th August: Not available
- Deluxe tour only available from 1st November
Pick-ups from several Reykjavik hotels and guesthouses have been affected by new restrictions imposed by Reykjavík City Council.
Grayline Iceland's main bus terminal is located at Klettagarðar 4,To view the map, please click here
- Standard: 3-5 hours
- Deluxe: 5-8 hours
Please wear comfortable and warm clothing and footwear.
Unfortunately this tour is not suitable for people with limited mobility.
Children under 12 go free on this tour! However, we will need to reserve a place for them in the coach, so please contact us on 0844 873 0070 to let us know how many children are travelling.
Each ticket/booking is subject to a maximum of two children for every one paying adult.
Cancellations / Weather Issues:
- In the case of adverse weather conditions, it may be necessary to cancel the tour (although every effort will be made to go ahead). Should this happen, you will be offered an alternative date to take the tour and if this is not suitable, you will be offered a refund on your return to the UK
- If the tour goes ahead but you don't see the Northern Lights, you will be offered to do the tour the following night for free. However, no refunds will be made for not seeing the lights.
- Please note that unfortunately this tour is not suitable for passengers in wheelchairs or with very limited mobility.
Visit the link that you'll find in your voucher to download and print off a voucher for Reykjavik Rost.
Located right by the old Harbor, Reykjavik Rost offers a selection of freshly made & grilled sandwiches with a delicious selection of soups. With our exclusive meal deal voucher you can save up to 25% off of your combo meal (Soup + Sandwich + Filter coffee). Delicious!