Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour - From Krakow
We use a secure connection for our checkout process.
Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour
Journey 135m (440ft) below ground to explore one of the oldest salt mines in Europe on this fascinating Wieliczka Salt Mine tour.
This salt mine is the world’s only mining site that has been functioning continuously since the Middle Ages, and is a key part of Poland’s history, with a place on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list.
Accompanied by an expert, English-speaking guide, you’ll journey through 3 levels of monumental chambers joined by 1½ miles (3km) of pathways.
During the tour you’ll see underground chambers that have been carved out in the salt rock, fabulous statues sculpted from salt and underground saline lakes.
According to local legend, the salt mines were part of the dowry of the Hungarian princess, Kinga, when she married Boleslaw the Shy over 700 years ago.
You’ll also discover the different types of technology that was used for mining over the centuries.
Round-trip transport from selected Krakow hotels is included.
Important: To enter the mine you must descend a staircase of 800 steps – this is not a difficult walk but please bear this in mind when booking this tour. A lift down to the first level is available at a cost of around 300PLN (The lift back up from the mine is included with your ticket).
Please note: Due to construction work taking place around Krakow, morning departures may be subject to delays in traffic. Work is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2018
- Culture Vultures
Type of Tour:
Guided walk through the Wieliczka Salt Mine, with transport from Krakow by air-conditioned bus
Daily (except some holidays)
Please allow approx. 4 hours for this tour
Pick-up points & times
Pick-up is included from the following hotels & locations in Krakow:
- 8:00 - 8:30: Best Western Hotel, Conrad Hotel Crown Piast, Demel Hotel, Express By Holiday Inn, Fortuna Bis Hotel, Novotel Bronowice, Petrus Hotel, Orient Hotel
- 8:40: 2 Matejki Square, 7 Szczepanski Square, Galaxy Hotel
- 8:45 Alexander I Hotel, Andel’s Hotel, Ester Hotel
- 8:50: Globus Hotel, Logos Hotel, Wyspianski Hotel
- 8:55: Holiday Inn, Novotel Centrum/Ibis Centrum, Queen Boutique Hotel
- 9:00 Royal Hotel
- 9:05 Radisson Blu Hotel
- 9:10 Sheraton Hotel
An English-speaking professional guide will accompany you on this tour
- ·This tour includes a lot of walking, so is not recommended for people with limited mobility or those confined to a wheelchair
- This tour is not recommended if you suffer from claustrophobia
- Visitors must descend a wooden stairway of 378 stairs. A lift down to the first level is available at extra cost of approx. 300PLN
What to wear:
- As this is a walking tour we recommend to wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- The underground temperature is around 14°C (55°F) so you may wish to wear warm clothing
- You will be required to call the number provided on your e-ticket to arrange pick-up from your hotel
- There are no stops on this tour - please bring snacks and drinks along with you.
- There is no WC on the bus.
Return transport, admission to the salt mine, lift back up from the mine, English-speaking guide
Food & drinks